As cold weather sets in, I start thinking about everyday essentials that can be combined to create endless cute winter outfits that are classy, comfortable, and practical. I’ve shared capsule wardrobes in the past, like my summer essentials and my fall essentials, but today, I’m sharing the top 10 winter essentials every closet needs for looking stylish and staying cozy all winter.
1- Wool Coat
A great winter coat can pull an entire outfit together. I think you can never have too many coats, like this one in faux fur and this one in plaid, but I’m totally into a classic camel hair coat when it comes to winter wear. I recommend investing in a longer model that will pair well with jeans, winter dresses, leggings, midi or maxi dresses, and jumpsuits. Below I show you a few of my favorite pieces this season from reliable brands like Calvin Klein, Everlane, Mango, and Ann Taylor.
2- Coated Pants or Leggings
Faux leather leggings or coated pants are a great staple for the winter wardrobe. They offer a luxe, upscale look compared to everyday leggings without sacrificing comfort. For a classic outfit, you can pair a pair of coated pants with a cream sweater and knee-high boots, or wear a pair of faux leather leggings with jumper boots, a hoodie, and a peacoat over them.
3- Sweaters
When it gets cooler, the coziest sweaters come out, whether you’re lighting a fire at home or out on the town. I honestly can’t get enough of long-sleeve crewnecks, v-necks, turtlenecks, chunky knits, and oversized sweaters. Below you’ll find a selection of my favorite sweaters and knits that are perfect for layering this season.
4- Winter Boots
If you’re looking for winter boots that you can wear year after year, you should reach for a pair of shearling booties. They’re ideal for comfort after the first frost (or snow) and feature a chunky block heel and shearling or faux fur padding. If you don’t live in a colder climate, try a high-cut Chelsea boot or combat boot instead.
5- Knee-High Boots
When someone asks me about my favorite cold-weather footwear, I answer that it’s knee-high boots. Like a great wool coat, the right pair will last for years, give a classic aesthetic, and keep your legs covered and warm. If you often wear skinny jeans and midi dresses, I recommend knee-high boots, but if you like to wear mini skirts or want a fancier look overall, go for a great pair of suede over-the-knee boots.
6- Scarves
The difference in comfort and warmth that a scarf can make is incredible. I don’t know about you, but when my neck is cold, I’m not happy. I recommend investing in a high-quality, versatile scarf that will go with hundreds of different outfits. White + Warren, Theory, and the Banana Republic are all great options. Make sure you choose a neutral color that will go with all of your winter outfits!
7- Beanies
Beanies are so functional: they keep your head warm and add a stylish (or cute!) look to your winter outfit, depending on which style you choose. Opt for a pom-pom beanie if you like a cute, casual look, or go for a simple ribbed beanie or cashmere hat if pom-poms aren’t your style. J. Crew offers adorable pom beanies, and my favorites are from Rag & Bone and Blue & Cream.
8- Puffer Jacket or Parka
Everyone needs a great puffer jacket to run errands and stay warm when it’s freezing outside. If you travel often or live in extremely cold weather, look for a packable, water-resistant down jacket. If you live in a milder climate, a thin quilted jacket or even a mini puffer jacket will do the trick. My favorite brands for sporty puffers include Patagonia, North Face, and Lululemon, and for feminine, stylish puffers I really like Cole Haan, Marc New York, Canada Goose, and Moncler at Nordstrom.
9- Hoodie and Joggers
Loungewear is clearly trending in 2020, and I don’t see that changing anytime soon! I personally love this trend because there are so many ways to be comfortable in hoodies, cardigans, and sherpas while looking “dressed up” when combined well. To start, I recommend a great hooded sweatshirt that you can pair with high-waisted leggings, a coat, and sneakers. Alo Yoga makes amazing soft sweatpants that are 100% suitable for work at home and on the go.
10- Cardigan
Long sleeve cardigans are to winter what a long sleeve shirt or bodysuit is to fall. You can easily pair them with a base layer that warms without being too bulky. The right coat, like this popular blazer coat (a must-have for any closet, and there’s almost always a discount code at checkout!), will fit perfectly under a wool coat on really cold days. If you live in a milder climate, you can also wear a leather jacket or trench coat with it. Browse through some of my favorite cardigans and coats below….
0 Comments
Anyone no scam comments